2018 Introduction to Wood Science and Forest Products Course
An informative three-day course empowering you with the basics of wood and wood-based products. Understand the environmental advantages of wood, product properties and more. Students will have the opportunity to participate in hands-on exercises to practice skills and attend sessions in the state-of-the-art Forest Products and Wood Science Learning Center on the campus of Mississippi State University.
This course is presented by the Mississippi State University Department of Sustainable Bioproducts and the Forest Products Society.
Who Should Attend?
• New employees in wood products manufacturing
• Suppliers and consultants who support wood products companies
• Those needing increased knowledge of wood and its behavior
• Claims agents
What Will I Learn?
• Basics of wood properties by introducing how trees are grown, harvested and processed
• Forest-to-usage to gain well-rounded understanding of the industry
• Wood anatomy and how changes in the forest lead to changes in product performance
• Current issues affecting the forest products industry, along with green building and product testing
• Earn 17 CEU Credits upon course completion
Topics Covered Include:
• Introduction to Wood Products
• Forest Management
• Lumber Production
• Wood Anatomy and Properties
• Timber Harvesting
• Wood Durability and Protection